Wednesday, August 4, 2010

How's this for takin' a step back?

Times are tough. Not just for me and my household but for everyone some way or another. Julian and I made a huge change to help save money. We got rid of our blackberry's and switched over to a pay as you go phone that has unlimited texts. How is that for a big change of life style? That is a HUGE step for us. I felt robbed of something special to me. I was sad. I felt empty. I felt very disappointed.



BUT I did learn a few things in the midst of this. First, I have become entirely too dependant on my phone. It is my "blankie" if you will. I felt complete with my phone. I would check it in the car while driving (I know, I know), it would be within reach during dinner at a restaurant, I had to make sure it was always where I could grab it easily. Second, I was teaching my children that phones are more important than what you are doing in the moment. If my phone went off or an email came through I had to look at it. I don't want my kids feeling that phones are important. Life is important. Living is important. Family is important. Third, I don't want to teach my kids that driving and texting is okay because it ISN'T!!! But that is what I was showing them. I would call Julian as soon as I went somewhere to let him know I was leaving or arriving and if the kids were in the car they obviously saw that. I really don't want them thinking that is okay and the norm. Fourth, it is expensive to have all those gadgets and accessories. I would rather my money go to something else.

This is a very honest post. This is what we are doing as a family and couple to improve our lives. It works for us (at least we are going to find out if it does) and that's what matters.

This is probably going to be a rough transition at first not being able to call someone whenever I want but at least I can text all day long if I want. But I also have a feeling that the first time we don't have to pay an outrageous phone bill we are going to be very happy people.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you!! It's so crazy how dominant our phones become in our lives... I admire that you two are taking this step because I'm nowhere near any place where I could. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I'm wondering what happens in an emergency and no one's responding to your texts? Like if your car breaks down or something? I totally understand not wanting to teach your kids to text while driving & always have your phone with you. I always have my phone with me because that's my only means of communication since we don't have a home phone. However, I'm making more of an effort not to look at my phone when I'm spending time with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ash, we have the phone that you can still use voice calls but we will have to pay for those. It is a means to keep us froming using it on a daily basis but we still have it in case of emergencies like that. With two little ones and this city being so big there is no way I could go completely without a phone that dials out. We are just limiting our use of it. It is an extreme thing we are doing.

    ReplyDelete